It has come to our attention that you are the listed creator of an event page on Facebook called “Occupy Wildcat.” We understand that this is a peaceful protest against “the rising Pioneer prices, particularly in Wildcat,” scheduled to take place Wednesday, Nov. 2 from 12 noon until 5 p.m.
As members of the media, we value the basic human right to express oneself freely. As students, we are engaged in the ongoing discussion of how we can make Indiana Wesleyan University a better place for everyone. But we are writing you now to express our concern and hope that you will reconsider plans to proceed with “Occupy Wildcat” for the following reasons:
1. Your position as acting president of the Student Government Association is a representative role and is, therefore, indivisible from your personal life. Political activism outside SGA’s formal functioning should be seen as unitary with your work as president.
2. It is unacceptable to promote that which is “not an official SGA event” on official SGA media platforms, as you did on the SGA blog, providing a link to the “Occupy Wildcat” Facebook page.
3. You have not cohesively articulated a specific list of complaints.
4. You have not completely exhausted less spectacular means of communicating with Pioneer College Caterers and Indiana Wesleyan University personnel.
5. Branding your protest “Occupy Wildcat” is unfortunate, in light of recent world events. Other protests in the “Occupy” movement have resulted in injury, loss of life, political unrest and property damage worldwide. “Occupy Wildcat” seems petty in comparison to the movement at large.
We, the undersigned, take “Occupy Wildcat” very seriously and hope you will reconsider your organizational role in its execution.
Lauren Sawyer, Editor in Chief of The Sojourn
Molly Meyer, Managing Editor of The Sojourn
Steven Porter, News Editor of The Sojourn
Jeremy Sharp, Sports Editor of The Sojourn
Rachel Pyle, Features/A&E Editor of The Sojourn